The voters of Cannock Chase were clear on 23rd June 2016 in the EU referendum with the majority voting for the UK to leave the EU.
The Supreme Court have this morning judged that Parliament will be required to vote on whether to trigger Article 50. I will uphold the will of my constituents and will vote in Parliament to trigger Article 50 when the Bill comes to the House.
There has already been a non-binding vote on this issue on Wednesday 7th December 2016.
The motion stated Parliament "should respect the wishes of the United Kingdom as expressed in the referendum on 23 June; and further calls on the Government to invoke Article 50 by 31 March 2017".
I supported this motion and will continue to support the will of the people and my constituents.
I will also support the Government in getting the best trade deal with the EU for the UK. I believe the Prime Minister outlined a clear plan as to how we are going to act and the opportunities it offers the UK.
The Prime Minister said that the government plan will:
• Provide certainty where it can;
• Control our own laws;
• Strengthen the Union;
• Maintain the Common Travel Area with the Republic of Ireland;
• Control immigration;
• Preserve rights for EU nationals in Britain, and British nationals in the EU;
• Protect workers’ rights;
• Protect free trade with European markets, while leaving the Single Market;
• Seek new trade agreements with other countries;
• Make the UK the best place for science and innovation;
• Maintain cooperation in the fight against crime and terrorism;
• Ensure a smooth, orderly Brexit without a ‘cliff edge’.
This is a sensible and clear plan and the Government has my full support seeing the democratic will of the people fulfilled.